The study abroad trip to Nanjing is at this moment coming to an end after great success! There is talk of another course this summer so stay tuned. (The best way to make sure you hear about such opportunities is to sign up for the White Pine Newsletter). There was a good contingent of students who have studied through White Pine Institute participating in the tour which was led by Greta Young Jie De. Greta is a well know practitioner, interpreter, author, scholar in her own right and…. will be interpreting for Professor Fu Yanling at White Pine Institute in November, 2011. Greta is also the author of Shang Han Lun Explained with Robin Marchment. Greta wrote a letter to me about the trip saying ”
The tour has been wonderful and great so far and the participants would like to plan for another trip in the summer. Professor Shen Ji Zi 沈继泽is a renowned and famous TCM practitioner who practises the real and pure Chinese Medicine. We were awe strucked to say the least as we witnessed so many very sick patients who would have been be dead in the west and yet receive a new lease of life in her clinic. Some of them suffer from cancer metastasis to bone from lung and from colon to liver, we also saw a few SLE patients. A western doctor who does not believe in Chinese medicine came to see Professor Shen presenting with autoimmune hemolytic anaemia.
Professor Huang is his usual self, very energised and full of useful information.
Much of the time the group spent in China was with Professor Shen Ji Ze 沈继泽 who is a specialist in the Jin Gui Yao Lue. The material from this rich interaction with Professor Shen will soon be available through distance learning through White Pine Institute. Greta writes:
“Jin Gui Yao Lue” is one of the major classic of Chinese Medicine and is designated as a core study for Chinese medicine practitioners and students in China. Through the learning of “Jin Gui Yao Lue” students and practitioners will have a better understanding of the aetiology and pathogenesis of miscellaneous diseases and the prevention and treatment principle of dealing with difficult-to-treat diseases. The study of “Jin Gui Yao Lue” will enhance the students’ and practitioners’ knowledge on some of the key formulas originated from “Shang Han Za Bing Lun”.
Through my twelve years of teaching mainly associated with the teaching of Shang Han Lun and Wen Bing at major Australian universities and colleges I feel there is a need for students and practitioners to have a better understanding of some of the formulas explained in the text and how to apply them clinically for the treatment of modern diseases.
Below is an outline of what the distance learning course will consist of. We are very excited to be able to offer this!
Objective of Lecture and Contents
Introduction: Historical background of “Jin Gui Yao Lue”
- To understand the author and development of Jin Gui Yao Lue
- To understand the basic content of Jin Gui Yao Lue
- To focus on some of the key clauses described in the text and meaning
- To focus on the major academic achievement of Jin Gui Yao Lue
- A thorough discussion by citing diseases and clinical applications of some key formulas.
Chapter 1: Pulse signs and sequence of Bowel and Viscera, and Channel and Collateral disease 脏腑经络先后病脉证第一
- To understand special characteristic of aetiology and the three different pathways for disease cause.
- To focus on the basic fundamental in the prevention and treatment of diseases.
- To focus on the prevention ie treatment before the manifestation of disease, exterior and interior and chronic and newly contracted diseases.
Lecture contents: Holistic approach in the prevention of diseases.
Chapter 2 : Pulses, signs and treatment of Tetany, Dampness, and Summer heat Stroke 痉湿暍病脉证治第二
- To understand the concept of damp-related diseases
- To focus on the principle treatment of dampness and damp-related diseases.
- Aetiology of damp-related diseases including exterior dampness and interior dampness; treatment principle and accompanied symptoms.
Chapter 5 : Pulses, Patterns, and Treatment of Wind Stroke and Joint-running disease. 中风历节病脉证并治第五
- To understand the concept of wind-stroke and joint diseases (Li Jie)
- To understand the aetiology of wind-stroke (Zhong Feng) and joint disease (Li Jie)
- To understand the different locations of wind-stroke associated with network vessels, channels, bowel (fu) and Viscera (zang)
- To grasp the treatment of joint-related diseases.
- Aetiology of wind-stroke, pathological changes, symptoms and signs and prognosis.
- Aetiology of joint diseases and factors causing joint diseases and treatment strategy.
Chapter 6: Pulses, Patterns and Treatment of Blood Impediment (Xue Bi) and Deficiency Taxation (Xu Lao) 血痹虚劳病脉证并治第六
- To understand the concept of deficiency taxation
- To understand the aetiology and pathogenesis of deficiency taxation.
- To focus on the treatment of deficiency taxation.
- The pulse and signs of deficiency taxation, aetiology and pathological changes associated with spleen deficiency, kidney deficiency and blood dryness (blood stasis)
Chapter 7: Pulse, Patterns and Treatment of Lung Wilting, Welling –abscess of the lung and coughing with Qi Upsurge 肺痿肺痈咳嗽上气病脉证治第七
- To understand the concept of lung-wilting and cough with qi upsurge
- To familiarize the aetiology and pathogenesis of Lung-wilting.
- To understand the concept of cough with qi upsurge, pattern identification and prognosis.
- To understand the treatment of lung-wilting and cough with qi upsurge.
- Aetiology, pathogenesis and treatment of lung-wilting
- Diagnosis of cough with qi upsurge, prognosis and treatment.
Chapter 9: Pulses, Signs and Treatment of Chest Impediment, Heart Pain and Shortness of breath 胸痹心痛短气病脉证治第九
- To understand the concept of chest impediment, heart pain and shortness of breath
- To focus on the pathogenesis of chest impediment and heart pain based on the pulse perspective.
- To focus on the pattern identification and treatment of chest impediment and heart pain.
- The patho-mechanism of chest impediment and heart pain and typical symptoms.
- Insufficiency of heart yang with harassment of cold rheum, qi stagnation with cold congelation and treatment of their related chest impediment and heart pain.
Chapter 10: Pulses, Patterns and Treatment of Abdominal Fullness, Cold Hernia and Food Stagnation 腹满寒疝宿食病脉证治第十
- To understand the concept of abdominal fullness
- To familiarize the pattern identification and treatment of abdominal fullness due to cold, heat, deficiency and excess.
- To focus on the different patterns of abdominal fullness.
- The treatment of abdominal fullness attributed to cold, heat, deficiency and excess.
Chapter 12: Pulses, Patterns and Treatment of Phlegm-rheum and coughing 痰饮咳嗽病脉证并治第十二
- To understand the concept of different types of phlegm and rheum disorders
- To focus on the categorization of phlegm and rheum.
- To focus on the treatment strategy of diseases associated with phlegm and rheum
- To focus on the different patterns of phlegm-rheum and associated treatments
- Categorization of phlegm-rheum; pathogenesis and symptoms and signs and treatment strategies.
- Phlegm-rheum; suspended rheum; spillage-rheum and propping rheum and their associated treatments.
- Xiao Qing Long Tang treatment of Propping rheum
Chapter 14: Pulses, Patterns and Treatment of Water Qi Disease 水气病脉证并治第十四
- To understand the concept of water qi diseases
- To be focused on wind water (feng shui); skin water (pi shui); regular water (zheng shui); stone water (shi shui) and yellow sweat.
- To focus on the treatment strategy of water qi diseases.
- To focus on the patterns and treatment of wind water and skin water.
- Treatment strategy for water qi diseases and differentiate whether the disease is at qi level or blood level.
- Treatment of wind water and skin water.
Chapter 15: Pulses, Patterns and Treatment of Jaundice 黄疸病脉证并治第十五
- To understand the concept of jaundice
- To understand the categorization of jaundice and sexual taxation jaundice (Nu Lao Dan).
- To focus on the pattern of jaundice characterised by damp-heat yellowing.
- A discussion on the associated issues regarding Sexual taxation jaundice.
- Patho mechanism of Grain jaundice, alcohol jaundice and sexual taxation jaundice.
- Treatment for grain jaundice and alcohol jaundice.
Chapter 17: Pulses, Patterns and Treatment of vomiting, hiccough and diarrhoea 呕吐哕下利病脉证治第十七
- To understand the significance of vomiting and diarrhoea.
- To understand the treatment and contraindication of vomiting and diarrhoea.
- To focus on the patterns and treatment of vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Aetiology, pathogenesis, symptoms and treatment of vomiting.
- Aetiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of diarrhoea.
课时分配（注：具体课时将示学员学习情况实时调整，上午4节 下午5节）Lectures allocation: Morning 4 hours and afternoon 5 hours